Fyrskib nr XVII


Home Up About the Society Membership Executive Board Working Groups General Forum Members Area

 

    

 

 

 

Source of Image: David Ian Wright (Wales)
Date of Image: July 1st, 2006

 

International Designation Number:

Fyrskib nr XVII
 

Vessel Name: 

Fyrskib nr XVII

 

Previous Name/s:
Station: 1895-1919             Lappegrund
1921-1940              Gedser Rev
1940-1945       Store Baelt near Kalundborg during WW II
1945-1972 Gedser Rev
De-commissioned: 1972
Authority:

 

Construction:
Date of Construction: 1895
Builder: N.F. Hansens Værft in Odense, Danmark.
Material: Oak with copper below the waterline.
Cost:
Length: 36m
Depth:
Beam: 6.50m
Weight: 170 ton

 

 

Technical Data:

Elevation:
Range:
Propulsion: Voelund, 135 h.p.
Anchor:
Operational Dates: 1878 until 1977.
Crew: 2 x 7 men in rotation every 2 weeks.

Notes:

1954 the lightship has been involved in collisions for many times during her working life. The most serious collision was in 1954, when she was sunk within a few minutes.

The seaman in duty had just time to switch in the alarm, so all men below had enough time to come on deck and were saved. Unfortunately the seamen on duty had been throw overboard and drowned.

1972 decommissioned and put up for sale at the lightship warehouse on Holmen, Copenhagen. The Danish National Museet was able to secure the lightsip for posterity.

The money (50.000 kr) to purchase the lightship was donated by the A.P. Moeller Fund. Since the purchase, the lightship has been looked after by a group of old-age pensioners, belonging to the organisation "Three Crowns Active", who, - without payment - have been maintaining the lightship.

January 2001 the lightship had been towed to Hvide Sande, where it had been restored at the A/S Hvide Sande Skibs- og Bådebyggeri. The money for restoration

(4.5 million Danish Kroner) was once again donated by the A.P. Møller Fund'

November 5th, 2003 a tow boat of the Hanstholm Bugserservice towed the lightship back to Copenhagen, where they arrived at November 7th, 2003.

November 16th and 23th, 2003 "Open Ship" from 11am to 3 pm for all lighthsip enthusiasts

Today Lightship No. XVII is afloat at Nyhavn in Copenhagen as a characteristic example of the efforts of generations to keep the shipping safe in Danish waters. But with her presence she also adds to the authentic picture of the old harbour, where now cars are parked close together, but where once people were busy on- and offloading the local packetboats and potatoeships.

May 27th, 2009 Today Denmark's National Bank issued a new 20-krone coin with lightship XVII on its backside.

Opening hours:


The lightship is open to the public every Saturday from 11am to 3 pm in June, July and August and can be visited in the Nyhavn in Copenhagen.